Opening for choose-and-cut Christmas tree sales on November 24, 2023!
By appointment only – please return for scheduling instructions in early November.
In October 2012, we purchased 70 acres of raw farmland in Clarke County with the dream of creating a Christmas tree farm. We fell in love with this land – its rolling hills, open fields, wide views of the Blue Ridge, and historical stories. A secluded stand of woods inspired its name: Haven Wood Farm.
In the spring of 2013, we planted the first 2,000 seedlings by hand, aided by a crew of friends and family. We’ve continued to plant, labor, and learn every year since and are now rewarded by beautiful fields full of Christmas trees.
We are thrilled to share our version of the American dream with you –
welcome to Haven Wood Farm!
- The Biebighauser Family
We are currently growing over 17,000 trees across five different varieties. In 2023, we offer the following for sale:
Douglas Fir is one of the most popular Christmas tree varieties due to its full form, soft needles, and pleasant citrus scent. Our Douglas Fir crop includes trees up to 9 feet tall.
Canaan Fir is a close cousin of the Fraser Fir but grows better in our region. Its short, soft needles, stiff branches, and strong needle retention make it an increasingly popular variety.
History of The Land
Located in the northern Shenandoah Valley, Haven Wood Farm sits in the Long Marsh Run Rural Historic District, surrounded by history.
On October 17, 1750, George Washington surveyed a 265-acre tract that included our farm. This survey created a new parcel from Lord Fairfax’s holdings for conveyance to Mr. Thomas Loftan. In 1770, George Washington’s cousin, Warner Washington I, completed his nearby estate, Fairfield. From 1834 until 1841, our farm was part of the Fairfield estate, owned by John Richardson.
During the Civil War, military movements surrounded the farm. Nearby engagements included the Berryville Wagon Train Raid, the Battle of Cool Spring, and the Battle of Kabletown. From 1869 until 1880, this land was owned by Frederick W.M. Holliday, who served as governor of Virginia from 1878 until 1882.